logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Some suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

It would nice that when you click on a thread from the new post sidebar and after it redirects you to log in and after logging in, it takes you to the post your trying to read in the first place. Also I would like the new post sidebar be bigger or have a "next page" feature.

Also it seems that more than half the topic/traffic on this board are behind scene, that requires more than just a user account to read. I know somethings should stay behind closed doors but really its like haft and half. I think this site can really grow if their were more open topics.

Finally it seems, I could be wrong, that half of the "open" topic don't even need to a log in to read while other do. What up with this? One tip my CS professor made is use a 0,1,INF approach to features/methods/interface, use the feature for not at all, for one case, or use it all the time. I'm just saying it a really disappointing and confusing to click on a thread only to be turn around, or finding out you could have read something without having to logging on. Whats the point of having a typical user account?

I suggest dropping log in for all but behind the scene topics, which shouldn't show up in the new post side bar at all, and for posting rights. You could also color code threads so people can see Oh that's a admin thread no need for me to click on it.

Don't mean to be a thorn in the side just try to help.

Post subject: Re: Some suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:16 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Don't use the "new posts" thing on the main home page. We've had issues with it for quite a while, and frankly, it's never worked correctly. If you want to look for new posts, then just navigate to the board index first, and then click on the "View new posts" button at the top right. That works much better. Our lead web guru, Fox, no longer plays SWMs, so he hasn't been working on this site as much anymore, which is perfectly fine. I'm learning as I can, and working on things, but bugs like how the new posts thing on the front page works is still something I haven't quite figured out. Perhaps if I can get it to work, I'll just take it off there altogether.

And the simple fact of the matter is, this forum has a moderator staff. The moderators/admins have their own separate forum(s) to discuss things as necessary. Honestly, it's not that unusual for the discussion "behind the scenes" to be more than what can be seen by the general users, because many time, the moderators and admins of a website are the most frequent users as well. That's part of how they got to those positions.

If you are disappointed by the lack of topics that the general users can participate in, then start some yourself. ;)

And as for the login stuff....we've consistently had issues with the "keep me logged in" feature since we got hacked back in April. No clue what the problem is, and it's just something we have to live with for now, unfortunately. But I highly doubt we would ever change the forums so that you don't have to log-in at all. Having a log-in is part of how we maintain control over the site, and how we monitor traffic as well. In addition, there are some sections of the site that we would like people to become members of the site in order to view. The hope is that if you spend the time/energy to sign up for the site in order to look at some sections of the forums, then perhaps you will spend time looking at or contributing other sections as well.

We'll certainly take your suggestions into consideration, but to be honest, most of them are things we've already discussed in the past and have decided there is either nothing we can do about it, or the site is set up that way because that's how we want it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:27 am 

Ahh the small print in the top right didn't see that. Seriously thanks I looked for something like that and figure it was the front page thing. After some comparing the two, that link you point out is what I exactly what I wanted so double thanks. On the log in issues I understand the logic of having a to log in for some part its just to me it should be a all or nothing type thing would be better but each to his own.

Me make thread :roll: :oops: I'm more of a luker at heart but we see. TX for the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth Muerte wrote:
On the log in issues I understand the logic of having a to log in for some part its just to me it should be a all or nothing type thing would be better but each to his own.

Well, we want people to at least be able to see a little bit, and get a taste for what the site is, and then decide if they want to register in order to see more. It's like dealing drugs, you know? :P :lol:

Quote:
Me make thread :roll: :oops: I'm more of a luker at heart but we see. TX for the time.

Heh, no problem there. Forums need people of all types! Thanks for your input!