logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Search function error?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is the search function broken? No matter what I type it tells me I was being too generic and it won't look. At first I didn't question it and then I typed in Skype User Name to try and find the skype thread(found it btw). How is Skype too generic of a word???

Post subject: Re: Search function error?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

the new backend requires at least 2 words to run a search, single word searchs tend to consumer major DB processing time as depending on the word, it could be in EVERY post. Don't forget our search uses a "common language" routine so if your looking for "how to build a squad" that's exactly what you type in to get the best result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, I'm unlocking this, because it's still a problem. Either that, or however the new search is set up, it's really not intuitive.

I was searching for RPG stats the other day, and at one point, was searching for the words "Jare Ramikad", which is the name of my RPG character, and I KNOW for certain that there are a few posts with those words in them, in exactly that order. But no matter what combination of the words, including adding things like "RPG" and such to the string, not a single thing came back with any results. It kept telling me that "Jare Ramikad" was too generic. Too generic? Those words are only in like 10 posts on the entire forum at a maximum.

Something is still not working right with the search feature. For the time being, I've just been using Google to search the forums instead if I need to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
OK, I'm unlocking this, because it's still a problem. Either that, or however the new search is set up, it's really not intuitive.

I was searching for RPG stats the other day, and at one point, was searching for the words "Jare Ramikad", which is the name of my RPG character, and I KNOW for certain that there are a few posts with those words in them, in exactly that order. But no matter what combination of the words, including adding things like "RPG" and such to the string, not a single thing came back with any results. It kept telling me that "Jare Ramikad" was too generic. Too generic? Those words are only in like 10 posts on the entire forum at a maximum.

Something is still not working right with the search feature. For the time being, I've just been using Google to search the forums instead if I need to do so.

I haven't been able to get ANYTHING out of search since the site was rebuilt. Even before then, it was tough to filter effectively.
So, to whomever is tasked with fixing it - I wish you good luck and thank you for your efforts. :)

And thanks Lobo for the tip about using Google - can't believe that didn't occur to me :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:15 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

well I just rebuild the search index's if that dosn't help.. I've got nothing