logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Mod vs. Mod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:12 am 
General
General

I think it is extremely inappropriate for Moderators on this site to continue public sniping and bad-mouthing against one another. Just as I think it is highly inappropriate for Mods to use their privileges to get the last word in on locked threads, whether it's about them or not. I see the fighting pretty regularly here, whether it's just a snide personal jab or blatant slanderous comments. Specifically, Billiv dressed down Boris pretty hard in the January League Kit topic and Boris posted in the subsequently locked thread. Whether or not Boris is going around doomsaying and spreading baseless rumors (which may or may not be the case), that is not the point. Whether or not you're friends in real life: that's not the point. You are setting a horrendous example for everyone else including visitors, new members and prospective members.

Either this is the friendly community you all claim it is or the Mods are allowed to conduct themselves in an unprofessional manner. Just because you're not getting paid for the job doesn't mean you shouldn't be held to a higher standard of conduct; heck, often you don't even hold yourselves to the same standard of conduct (see CoC for what isn't acceptable).

Grow up.

Post subject: Re: Mod vs. Mod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The problem with a Mod posting in a Locked thread is sometimes not just that person abusing their privilges. Mods are allowed to post in locked threads, and because of that, sometimes you don't even realize that it's locked.

We have 'Super Moderators' here (the Sith Praxeum) and the admins as well to step in and tell people to calm down if need be. I've been seeing Bill and Boris' interactions lately. If it escalates much more, I'll step in personally if need be and say something about it.

Remember, these guys have known each other for some time, and in some cases, one is just giving the other a hard time. The League Kit thread stuff was unnecessary though, and why it was locked.

But thanks for your concern and we'll definitely keep an eye on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
...We have 'Super Moderators' here (the Sith Praxeum) and the admins as well to step in and tell people to calm down if need be. I've been seeing Bill and Boris' interactions lately. If it escalates much more, I'll step in personally if need be and say something about it...

It's already bad enough.

LoboStele wrote:
...Remember, these guys have known each other for some time, and in some cases, one is just giving the other a hard time...

That doesn't matter in the least. If I was a new player and came into these forums and saw what's becoming commonplace, I would turn around and not come back. Period. This is why some people accuse these boards of elitism. Right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize the thread was locked until after I posted.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:10 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You could always do what I do when I see that sort of thing. laugh and move on. These boards are by far the best for talking all things Star Wars Minis, and I don't have a problem with the mods getting snippy with one-another. The problems I saw on the "other" non-wotc boards was that all the mods were friendly with each other and played favorites with the non-mod posters. Short of eviscerating some newer players squad builds or something, I don't really see a problem if the mods verbally duel now and then, it keeps things interesting in the long lull between new sets :wink: .

I'd rather them allow us to say whatever we want here than get into the habit of censoring anything that might be deemed "inappropriate" just because two or more members of the community might be having a heated discussion. :lsfight:

We are all friends here and I don't see any elitism. As I see it, elitism would be excluding someone or something just because you don't approve of it or agree with it. I feel pretty free to expound any star wars-related belief that I have on these boards, and I can't say that about WotC boards. Granted Wizards has a business interest to protect so they have to keep things under tight control. I have always felt these boards have been a place for all swm players to kick back and discuss their pastime without having to worry that their words will be closely moderated. The free exchange of ideas, even those that are exchanged through heated arguments should be allowed and respected. I'm sorry if you feel that the laid back decorum with which this place is run is not a positive. I can understand that point of view. I can even understand your belief that if the first post a new member saw was one that had lots of bickering in it, that they might not come back... But I would hope that anyone who loves this game as much as we all do wouldn't just read one post and decide how they feel about this wonderful website.

I hope this post doesn't mean you're going to frequent these boards less Menoth. I've enjoyed our discussions about Caedus especially, and I've felt that you've been a very possitive member of this community. You always have something to add to the discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I agree totally with Dean.

I like to think I'm a better man that when i run into a disagreeing view, i Read it, accept it as that person's view and attempt to move on. At least that's what i strive to do. Am mortal after all.

Far as the whole January kit thread goes. It was handled well. (and yes even i usually don't notice there's a locked button). But and honestly i took no offense as I like Dean promote the concept of free speech. Though i personally would of just deleted the 2-3 "offending" posts and not the whole thread.

Now of course I hope you and everyone realize that IF you or any registered user spots a post they feels violates the CoC, then please, USE the report button. IT's why it's there. To flag something someone objects so that the Praxium or the admin's can review it and the context it's in, and decide.

You'll never see us be really heavy handed as far as the CoC goes. yes it's a set of rules we've established to discern what's acceptable. But life sometimes dictates you bend the rules occasional in the service of free speech.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I don't mind seeing mods snipe at each other now and then. With that thread though I did get a little tired of getting emails about new posts in the thread only to find it was just another post from one of them.