All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Goodbye SWM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:03 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

dnemiller wrote:

why proxy them?????

I only have about 16 Ugnaught models all told, including the Droid destroyers et al. So I have to use proxys. Nevertheless try it out sometime. If it doesn't make you smile then nothing will :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:57 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LandShark wrote:
I know there is always room for improvement when it comes to skill, but how can you possibly roll better?

you can never roll better

play like you will always roll bad, and occasionally take risks.

I'm serious, don't risk an evade save unless you really have to. Always shoot from the safest position possible even if you should kill the fig.

As it is in boxing, protect yourself at all times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Cordova wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

why proxy them?????

I only have about 16 Ugnaught models all told, including the Droid destroyers et al. So I have to use proxys. Nevertheless try it out sometime. If it doesn't make you smile then nothing will :)

oh I have I was being a goob I have over 150 ugnaughts

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

dnemiller wrote:

can I have some?

on topic, I have cursed my dice many times for their ill luck. That's why I have over 30 I carry around with me. I dump them all out at the start of a game, and after 2 bad rolls (or 1 really bad one) it gets put in "time out" back in the box to ride out the rest of the game. I put ALOT of dice in time out...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:29 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Eruletho wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

can I have some?

on topic, I have cursed my dice many times for their ill luck. That's why I have over 30 I carry around with me. I dump them all out at the start of a game, and after 2 bad rolls (or 1 really bad one) it gets put in "time out" back in the box to ride out the rest of the game. I put ALOT of dice in time out...

I have 2 die. I operate on the principle that if one rolls badly, his mate comes out instead, making him jealous and forcing him to "behave" better...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:40 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

GAWDS NO! Don't ever carry possible poisoned dice with your true rollers. Ostracize them! Although, Cordova's psychological game of pitting one against the other for his approval appeals to me.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LandShark wrote:
After 1yr of playing SWM, I have had some great ups and downs; however I regret to inform you all that I have made the decision to quit playing SWM.

I need to find a new hobby that does not require luck, for I have none.

I can't tolerate losing games based purley on bad luck anymore. It has taken the fun and excitment right out of the game for me.

I can probably relate more than most on how you feel. About 12 months ago I had the worst run of games ever rolling pretty much like yourself. Even when GOWK came out, I really couldn't see the fuss because I couldn't roll above 3 for my saves.

Just step back for a couple of weeks. Try playing something else, a Board Game even maybe like Catan or Carcassonne. Then come back fresh.

My luck still isn't great, it's a joke in our RPG group about how low I roll, though it means my PCs hit everything in Warhammer FRP LOL :D

But I try to remember that I do have good luck on occasions. I've even had a good couple of weeks in SWM with an Ewok swarm bringing down Malak. So I say relax, stick it out and don't bother about the winning. just play fun squads, and by fun I really mean non-competetive ones. Just throw characters together who you like and charge in. Taking the focus off building a winning squad for a few weeks really did help me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It is true about SWM, now more than ever. Dice determine the outcome.

Case in point, the DD squad I went 3-0 with at GenCon went 2-2 at Carbondale's Little Egyptian Wars yesterday. Did I suddenly forget how to play the squad or face tougher opponents? Nope.

I just had some majorly bad dice rolls. Failed ALOT of saves, and rolled 2's and 3's when I needed 5's. :(

I don't blame you for deciding to quit, man. The others here mean well, but don't let them try to talk you into continuing to do something that makes you unhappy.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Fool wrote:
In my experience there's no such thing as luck

Hey! That's my line!

Don't give up on the game Landshark. Like Gurneywars said, its all about having fun and making lasting friendships. We all get vassaled, but it's important to just laugh it off. Sure losing isn't fun in a regional championship, but just because a few rolls didn't go you way doesn't mean your a bad player. Anyone playing the game will see your play style as skillful and your movements wise, and they won't blame you for the bad dice rolls either. If they win, they will feel ashamed of winning! I know I do, especially when my friends get vassaled! So don't give up on the game! It would be a great loss to lose someone of your skill and talent. Please reconsider!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:41 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Just a bit of advice from another old geezer (48)...if you focus on the rolls they will inevitably fail you at a critical juncture and you'll develop a defeatist attitude. Watch the good players in your group, Vassal, or at tournaments. They don't allow the dice rolls to dictate their game. Case in point: I was playing James Whys at GenCon, the first game on Friday morning. He had a shot to take out one of my characters, needing an 8. He decided to combine fire with 2 other pieces and just needed anything but a 1. Well, he rolled a 1, and out of respect for him I didn't laugh but felt like it. He lost a character because of the roll and I briefly took the lead. That single event did not change his game, and he went on to win. Afterwards, we both could laugh. I have chosen myself to remember that event because I saw a great player unfazed by a disastrous roll stick to his game and come away with the win. That was a learning experience to me...and hopefully anyone I've told the story to.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:37 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

i know this may not help much with all of the talk you are getting but i started at the dawn of revenge of the sith and i played a hole year without owning a single very rare and i bought a pack every other week. so i had a different bad luck but then i had a friend start playing with me and he bought his first pack and pulled the first bossk after that he only used my minis for a while one day i told him that he should not let one or even a hundred bad packs keep him from playing a getting a better collection so then he bought a pack again and pulled the mini he wanted most from that set. i guess my point is that luck cant get you down you just have to love the game

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

This is funny to read. I told Eruletho last night that I'm not playing again for 3 months because I have the worst luck. I just kept rolling bad. And it is a factor some of the time in a game. Best thing to do is not give up and keep practicing. Eliminate the effect of dice. Read articles writeen my the fans.

It's alot of work, and something I don't do because I play casually. And my game suffers for it. But don't give up.

Tell you what, give it 3 more months, and If your still playing in 3 months I'll send you a free map pack.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Don't throw in the towel. Bad luck or no, there's plenty of fun to be had all around. If I had quit after a year of playing and some lousy luck, I would have missed SO much other great stuff about this game.

I had a chance to go to the finals at GenCon 2007, and a good shot to win it all, but I lost to DrDivot in the semi-finals, because my Aurra JH rolled a 6, needing a 7 to finish off Divot's last JWM. The game was that close. But it was an awesome game, and though a little bad luck upset me at first, I didn't let it get to me, and came back to GenCon the next year ready for more. But you know what? I lost a game in the Championships because my Boba rolled a 5, needing a 6 to hit a Human Bodygaurd, during the Swiss rounds, and then I lost the quarter-final game to TINT because both Boba and Aurra missed TINT's Bothan Noble (rolled 6's needing 7's). After all of that, I know I have a serious problem of missing shots by only 1 number on the dice. Seriously, it happens A LOT. But, it's come to be a funny part of playing the game. I've come to expect it to happen.

But again, if I'd given up after all that, I would've missed out on so much. Heck, at GenCon this year, I could've given up before we even got to the Championship event on Saturday. I was only 9-7 after the 4 events on Thursday/Friday, with some absolutely horrible dice rolling problems throughout the weekend (like failing LS Defense rolls against two different Crits in one game - OUCH!). But guess what happened? That luck turned around and I went 7-0 in the Swiss rounds. Of course, the luck swung back the other way in the quarter-finals (Han missed a shot needing a 4 or better and I rolled a 1, lol), but that's how the game goes. Sure, I was upset after that loss, but it wasn't because of my luck, it was because of other errors I made in that game.

But as others have said, part of the game involves luck, and that's the part that gives the excitement and suspense to the battle. I really don't think the game would be anywhere near as fun without the luck effect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Jim wrote:
Just a bit of advice from another old geezer (48)...if you focus on the rolls they will inevitably fail you at a critical juncture and you'll develop a defeatist attitude. Watch the good players in your group, Vassal, or at tournaments. They don't allow the dice rolls to dictate their game. Case in point: I was playing James Whys at GenCon, the first game on Friday morning. He had a shot to take out one of my characters, needing an 8. He decided to combine fire with 2 other pieces and just needed anything but a 1. Well, he rolled a 1, and out of respect for him I didn't laugh but felt like it. He lost a character because of the roll and I briefly took the lead. That single event did not change his game, and he went on to win. Afterwards, we both could laugh. I have chosen myself to remember that event because I saw a great player unfazed by a disastrous roll stick to his game and come away with the win. That was a learning experience to me...and hopefully anyone I've told the story to.

That's a great story :)

It's funny to me because forgetting to combine fire is one of my most frequent mistakes when playing.
I dare say I would win significantly more games by making sure those key shots landed more often. ;)

Needing anything but a 1 and rolling a 1 is a perfect example of the dice failing you, but is also something that doesn't happen that much. I would accept that outcome knowing I did everything in my power to ensure my success. Tis better to just laugh and grab a different D20 :lol:

So DON'T give up - there are always more things you can do to improve your play, and that seemingly endless room for skill growth is one of the things that makes this game so great!

Just another geezer's (44) 2 cents :P

p.s. - what's a piddly 3 months to get some of JC's awesome maps for free? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I do feel luck can play a role in the game but just remember it's only a game. To me this game is about having fun and associating with great people. This community is a tight group. Where else can you feel familiar with people so many miles apart? Then if you are lucky you will get to personally meet them and place a face.

Everyone has bad luck occasionally with the die rolls. Just recently we played at a con. I saw some really bad rolling that affected the outcomes of the matches that would have been won had the die rolls gone the other way. One guy rolled 5 1's in a row. Another guy betrayed on a 1 and then took a reroll and rolled a 1 again losing in the DD event. I don't think anyone there said they had a bad time.

I'd hang onto your collection and let this feeling pass. I've seen too many regret selling their collections only to come back and play later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

All of the support coming from this thread has really encouraged me to stick with the game. I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction when I first posted this thread, but i'm glad it recieved it.

I didn't realize how tightly knit this community really is, it truley is a great thing to witness. Although my luck is down an out at the moment, a lot of people said some things in this thread that give me hope for my future in SWM.

I have a lot of food for thought thanks to this thread. Im realizing I really need to rethink the game. That should keep me around at least a while longer.

GVL Statistics: 5-1 Record, 7.5 VPs & 9 BPs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:01 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

LandShark wrote:
All of the support coming from this thread has really encouraged me to stick with the game. I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction when I first posted this thread, but i'm glad it recieved it.

I didn't realize how tightly knit this community really is, it truley is a great thing to witness. Although my luck is down an out at the moment, a lot of people said some things in this thread that give me hope for my future in SWM.

I have a lot of food for thought thanks to this thread. Im realizing I really need to rethink the game. That should keep me around at least a while longer.

Awesome, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:41 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
It is true about SWM, now more than ever. Dice determine the outcome.

Case in point, the DD squad I went 3-0 with at GenCon went 2-2 at Carbondale's Little Egyptian Wars yesterday. Did I suddenly forget how to play the squad or face tougher opponents? Nope.

I just had some majorly bad dice rolls. Failed ALOT of saves, and rolled 2's and 3's when I needed 5's. :(

I don't blame you for deciding to quit, man. The others here mean well, but don't let them try to talk you into continuing to do something that makes you unhappy.

Umm, DD is far more dice reliant than most of the other formats (certainly than the other DCI formats). So you should expect a few games to go terribly wrong at DD since it is no real strategic format.

And on topic: I know a guy who quit SWM after losing 2 games due to lost init on crucial rolls though he ran Thrawn AND a Probe. It is very unlikely, but it happens. That guy tells me nowadays that he is glad he made the decision, but he still buys some minis now and again, so I guess he isn't THAT happy about it really.

I once thought about quitting the game, too, because I didn't find the time to play. I sold a big bunch of my minis and later I regretted it. Give the game another month or two and see if Lady Luck shines on you again.

Also if the latest bad dice were on Vassal, don't jump to conclusions. Vassal sometimes (often) does that to you. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LandShark wrote:

We take care of our own here. They don't get that over there at whizzers in the coast.

When I decide i don't want to play anymore, I always go back to rule 1. I love Star Wars, and I love Star Wars miniatures. I love the thrill of a good win, or rolling a 20, and I love pulling that last piece I need out of a booster pack. I love looking at the maps I've made. I love the fact that I was on the phone with Dean Miller for 2 hours last week. And I love the fact that we're all ants on the feet of Jim Fraser.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:11 pm 
General
General

Jedicartographer wrote:
And I love the fact that we're all ants on the feet of Jim Fraser.

Nonsense! I'm a dung beetle. :)