Update for my squad of Jedi with Evade for post-TFU

Shaak-Ti JM
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
Lobot
Republic Commando - Sev
R2 Doombot
Mas Amedda
Ugo Demo x3

Reinforcements would typically be a BBSV. Mas is in the squad to start with in order to boost the BBSV's CE. I might consider playing it with just an Aqualish Assassin instead though.

If you run up against an all (or heavy at least) Melee team, might consider bringing an MTB and Gonk with Lobot. Could use the MTB to kill off Mas when the time is right for Quinlan. Then the Gonk could also give Sev some extra shots.

Post subject: Re: Evading Jedi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

It looks like it would do well against shooters, but can it stand up to B&B? With a few good rolls you could probably stand a good chance against it. I think you need a cheap shooter, probably Lando, to take out the swap fodder, but I don't really see a way you could fit that in.

Other than that it looks like a good squad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I have 9 base activations, and the best B&B squads at 150 points only have 11. I could use the MTB and Gonk to disable Thrawn's Potency. Bringing in Lando DS would be another option for a solid shooter, but even his +12 makes hitting Stormies in cover kind of tough.

Vader JH would be annoying between his Triple Attack and Jedi Hunter, but Lord Vader shouldn't be too tough at all. He'd need 10's just to hit Shaak Ti, and she could block twice a round. If using an MTB, then Vader gets smacked twice for 60 damage at the beginning of the following round, and possibly hit a third time by Quinlan for another 30 (Impulsive Momentum). I think it'd still be a tough battle, but I don't think it should be too bad. The key would be forcing Vader to deal with Shaak Ti first, and leaving Quinlan alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

adder wrote:
It looks like it would do well against shooters, but can it stand up to B&B? With a few good rolls you could probably stand a good chance against it. I think you need a cheap shooter, probably Lando, to take out the swap fodder, but I don't really see a way you could fit that in.

Other than that it looks like a good squad.

Wouldn't Sev be his inexpensive shooter?

I like the build, not sure that it would hold up to other top tier builds, but I would definitely have a blast playing it. Quinlan and Shaak-Ti are certainly a great duo to build around.

My one worry is that the opponent will just sit back a few rounds until the MTB has just about run its course

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, that's why I wouldn't be bringing in the MTB in every single game. And the beauty about the MTB, if I did use it, is I can rush my opponent at the end of a round, and have a 97.5% chance of winning init. Then smack 'em for being stupid and sitting back instead of attacking. :P

And yeah, Sev is a decent cheap shooter, but his +9 attack isn't going to take out very many Stormtroopers in cover, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

yeah, i've thought of (well its pretty obvious) of the Shaak JM, Quinlan Vos and BBSV combo which should be pretty tasty against both shooters and Melee as Shaak is one of the most cost effective melee pieces in the game.

However, i havn't settled on the final combination as its not easy to fill it out with a well balanced list of support at 150 (at 200 its pretty easy as you can fit a more powerful accurate shooter on). I like your idea of trying to keep the options open with a possible MTB engine but you leave yourself with 4 rounds of fodder to do it in. That will be quite hard to do much with, particulally when you will start from 11 activations and will be near 8-9 when you finally setting up for your first strike. I think you need to go all or nothing with MTB builds. Lots of fodder or forget the engine.

Its hard to fit everything in. I might be tempted to drop Lobot and add in The_Bith as staple and work in Wicket mainly for Sevs benefit and also as an extra pawn for Quinlan. But its hard as you will have 2 points to spare after dropping a uggo to fit wicket in.

Shaak
Quinlan
BBSV
Sev
R2 doombot
Wicket
Mas
2 uggie (uggie + jawa?)

another option is to drop wicket for more fodder,

Although you could easily drop Mas as the whole squad should run as a pack to get traps and options to tow, essentially following Shaak and the Bith on their route to the opposition.

I was thinking of running the squad below at the past gen con that i think is quite similar to this squad in its strategy

Qui Gon JM
Quinlan Vos
JWM
BBSV
Sev
R2
3 x uggie

Qui goes off and does as much as he can before beefing the JWM up. The rest of the squad runs in a pack. However in the new build you start off with a MotF 2 beat with built in evade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, rounds for the MTB engine is all about what you're willing to sacrifice. If I bring in MTB and Gonk, then I'd have 3 Ugos, and the Gonk, plus Mas, as Mas is no longer doing anything in the squad. So that's at least 5. 6 if I'm willing to off Lobot at some point. Could go up to 7 or 8 if R2 or Sev aren't being as useful anymore. Honestly, one round of towing in Shaak Ti, hitting for 40, and then winning init, hitting for 60, and towing out should be enough to put a pretty big dent in anybody's squad.

But I do like the idea of going with more fodder instead of Mas, and I think that's how I will end up running it. If I end up using the MTB and absolutely need Impulsive Momentum at a key point, then I just kill R2 or Lobot with the MTB. At least that would get me a couple more Ugos to kill off if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Well, rounds for the MTB engine is all about what you're willing to sacrifice.

yes, i understand you can start chopping away at the larger pieces of the squad to get more initiatives. With the ever present threat of time when are you ever gonna feel comfortable eliminating a 27 point piece for 50/50 chance of init (well i guess you do have Quinlan). However, i do understand the problems of facing an MTB squad when your not prepared for it but with MTB v MTB it usually becomes a game of who runs out of fodder first. You start chopping lobot and you'd better get yourself into a situation where you can finish strong.

Quote:
But I do like the idea of going with more fodder instead of Mas, and I think that's how I will end up running it. If I end up using the MTB and absolutely need Impulsive Momentum at a key point, then I just kill R2 or Lobot with the MTB. At least that would get me a couple more Ugos to kill off if necessary.

I agree with this idea. you'll get at least 6 round that way and when you don't run the MTB it should be easy to have your guys stay close eough to the bith to make his CE count.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I played this squad last night, and ended up using the MTB in 3 out of 4 games. I'll post up a full 'tourney' report for it. Overall though, there was only one game where I was starting to worry about running out of fodder to kill off. Luckily, time ran out in that game by that point anyway (that particular opponent plays very carefully, and so tends to be a little slower games). In one game, I killed everything except my opponent's Aurra Sing by the time I had to kill off the MTB with the Gonk, and even then, I still ended up winning the two following initiatives.

Not 100% sure what to do to improve it. Toughest game I had was against an Ozzel/Vader Unleashed/Boba BH squad, that was played similar to a San Hill squad. I used Shaak and R2 to chase down Ozzel (this was the game that I mentioned above). So, I'm thinking that a well-played San or Ozzel squad might be one of the most challenging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

was this your final squad?

Shaak
Quinlan
Lobot
R2
sev
jawa
4 x uggies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yup, that's it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

there really isn't much room for change. I think you've probably nailed the best shaak/quinlan MTB engine.
Your options are to change sev for another shooter or totally overhaul it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This squad looks brutal; really good idea....

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I ran a Shaak/Quinlan/BBSV squad at the lgs tourney this weekend and went undefeated with it, they're extremely potent! I used the MTB a few times to try it out and I was pleasantly surprised with how effective it was that way as well. I don't know what others think, but I can definitely see some combo of Saak/Quinlan being tier 1.

edit: The one problem I see for it is possibly someone like Boba BH or Merc who can always be on the run and really make it difficult on the Jedi to catch him while Still dealing out damage each turn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:41 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Those two boba fett pieces may be the two best stand alone pieces in the game right now; Lets just face it, when you are building a 150 point squad, if you include one of those two figures in you know that 1/3 of your squad was definitely not a mistake.

ImageImage