Vong Shaper [21]
Vong Jedi Hunter x2 [40]
Advance Agent Officer [11]
Lobot [27]
Gran Raider x2 [8]
Ugnaught Demo. x3 [9]
-----
Total - 150 w/ 15+ activations

Nom bomb is a dead squad idea. This may appear to be one, but really the strength in this squad is in the Jedi Hunters. Bring in a MTB and 3 Grans (Or 4 uggos if up against "It's a Trap!") for reinforcements. With 8-9 rounds of fodder it allows you to win the initiative nearly every round. Ooglith the Shaper and keep him in the middle of your squad; within six of every vong. Nom sits back and shoots at a +16 for 30 damage most of the time and use the 3 free grans to get gambit and cause damage with bomb detonation via MTB. When the opponent begins to close in use the JH's to smack em at a possible +17 for 40 damage from 6 squares away -- twice. (Against a Jedi with Cunning in effect) That is a possible 160 damage to a Jedi at the start of a round by the 2 JH's alone.

Whadd'ya think?

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject: Re: Shell Hunters
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:42 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Nice adjustment with Nom to create a different type of squad for the Vong. I can't wait to use the JH Vong and a Nom squad may be the way to get them across the board. How would you deal with disruptive?

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

punxnbutter wrote:
Nice adjustment with Nom to create a different type of squad for the Vong. I can't wait to use the JH Vong and a Nom squad may be the way to get them across the board. How would you deal with disruptive?

Let the JH's attack at a +13 for 20 damage twice each. Shaper's Effect is a Special Ability, not a Commander Effect.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:12 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Open maps could kill you, but otherwise very intresting. The lack of shooters is a gamble, but I don't think you meant for this squad to be competative. :stormtrooper:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

SirStevee wrote:
Open maps could kill you, but otherwise very intresting. The lack of shooters is a gamble, but I don't think you meant for this squad to be competative. :stormtrooper:

Nom is a solid shooter here. It'd be nice to use another, but Vong have nothing in that department....

I think that JH's will be competitive. The Shaper is a huge key and I figured the best way to protect him is to make him untargetable.

I don't know, I just think that two 70 HP guys with DR10 that can smack a Jedi for 80 damage is too good not be be competitive.

Hmmmm... I will continue to ponder the idea of MTB Engine Vong JH's. I think they'll be a solid team.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:33 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

maps will suck for this type of build too. Open maps will kill even jedi hunters. Han cannons= death.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

SirStevee wrote:
maps will suck for this type of build too. Open maps will kill even jedi hunters. Han cannons= death.

Well to be fair a Han Cannon squad could only shoot the JH's. This means I will not let them into LOS unless it is for a kill.

This squads not meant for absolute power. It is meant to control gambit with your few bombs and chip away at the enemies until the JH's get into position. Take out the Gambit collectors of your opponent and force them to advance.

Han will have to be kept 18 squares away from JH's too. 1 of those will kill him in one activation. Considering I control the initiative and out-activate him, (Although Dodonna may change that) then I should be able to position easier then you'd think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, Han has to stay 18 squares away from a JH, the Officer, AND the Shaper in order to not be insta-killed. ;) So, definitely going to be some trickiness with it. However, the only map that will really kill this squad is Mustafar, which is why Nom Bombs saw very little play at GenCon '07 anyways. Hopefully, with a little more balanced map situation, that should be much of a problem.

Only thing to watch out for....Flea, your JH's will only attack at +9 for 20 under Disruptive and against a non-Force user. The Shaper's SA doesn't add an Attack bonus.

So, as most of us have identified at some point, these guys are going to have the toughest time against Kyle JBM. However, the fact that he's a Jedi, and he can't use Block/Riposte on them, their +13 w/ JH for 30 damage w/ the Shaper's SA should kill him quite quickly. Especially when it will take at least 2 rounds for Kyle to kill just one of them, and even then, only if they fail one of their Crab Armor saves.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

SirStevee wrote:

Not entirely sure. I saw a JH squad cross the Geonosis Arena to win. And they were fighting some decent shooters.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
SirStevee wrote:

Not entirely sure. I saw a JH squad cross the Geonosis Arena to win. And they were fighting some decent shooters.

Crab Armor 6 effectively halves the damage taken from most shooters. The Vong JH's are absolute beasts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thejumpingflea wrote:
Crab Armor 6 effectively halves the damage taken from most shooters. The Vong JH's are absolute beasts.

Trust me, this weekend has shown me that. Entirely playable at all point levels.

And I would say monsterous, not just beastly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I had forgotten about the crab armor 6 until I saw the cards myself this weekend. Effectively 140 HP for 20 points? Ummmmm yea that'll compete decently. They're so good for only a couple points more than the Elite Warrior....that piece really got overshadowed. :?

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!