logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Upcoming SW Mini's 12 hours of gaming (Kokomo)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Where: Kokomo (Gamer DMZ) 12 hours of gaming on 12/28/2011.

When: From 9:30 am to 9:30 pm.

Events:

500 point Epic Challenge kicks off the day. (1) 500 points, (2) 16 activation limit, (3) 3 commander effects maximum, (4) 1 hour and 15 minute time limit, (5) Standard map list, (6) 275 or 300 to get a 3 point win (which is most feasible?), and (7) 50 point gambit that can only be scored by a 25 point or higher mini.

Break for lunch and upon returning we will play a 200 point constructed tourney with a Restricted map list.

Finally, we want to play a Hoth battle which Les will be good enough to run replete with rules, minis, etc.

This will not be a tourney with prize support (although I might bring some seasons of Clone Wars, etc. to give out), but should just be a good dad of SWM gaming. Everyone is welcome.

Last edited by WacoBlaze on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming SW Mini's 12 hours of gaming (Kokomo)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Depending on how many people show.

Tis the season for the Battle of Hoth. Just saying that good be fun if people were interested.

I will be there and ready toplay what ever people are interested in.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:43 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Les, let's put that down to play after the 200 if you are cool with that. I know several people would be interested in that and have always wanted to play one. I haven't played that for some time and would really enjoy it too. You need anything special for it? Brian has several AT-AT's and we all have plenty of AT-ST's, etc. You have special rules anda scenario ready? So far it looks like Dan, Tony, Chris, Brian, Harry, Owen and Oren are coming as well as maybe Todd. Will let Chris Pullis from Greenfield know about it as well and message Steve Spikerman too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have two ATATs and most the other stuff to run a good battle. Maybe speeders and turrent. i will try to take a look and see what I have ran in the past.

Give me a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Here is a link with pics of the last hoth battle that I ran. It was a 2 years ago. So not much has changed as far as pieces go. I think the at least the ATATs Heavy Laser will have Overwhelming Power this time around. Maybe the medium as well.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.567966603348.2304690.13744963&type=1&l=7876ce1d42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That is a Wednesday. Is that right?

I'd like to try and make it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yep Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

interesting. I may be able to do this since it is a Wednesday. I'll check and see if Jake can go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It'd be great to have you guys come down.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's not looking good. Jake's wife is shortening his already short leash, so i think he's out.

Everyone and their mom is wanting off work because of the holidays, so it looks like I'll be stuck working.

It's a bummer - because any other time of the year a Wednesday would be BETTER for me than a Saturday.

I'll let you know if it changes, but probably its a no-go. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LEt me see what our money situation is like as it gets closer, but the wife and i may come up. I may have to convince her to but i will work on my force techniques...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So I am assuming that this is a free event all day event since we aren't play for prizes.

Rich and I will be there.

For the 500 point Epic are epic characters ok to use? Does our squad have to use them?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yes, FREE just for fun and a nice day of gaming (all too rare it seems these days). Also, I thought about whether an Epic is required yesterday oddly enough and think we should probably use one (1) minimum. Dennis is really the orginator (I think) of this format and we are trying to adhere to it. I will PM him and see or try to check out his posts from his event to see if it is mandatory. Also, think gambit is 15 points, and we are playing the Standard Map List.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:55 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

are the events staying in the order written, i mean will we start with epic, then after lunch do 200 resticted, and then tile wars or might they change? The only reason i ask is because we may not be able to stay for the last event, and my favorite is tile wars (Closely followed by epic). Believe me it is not that i dont want to stay, but we will have a baby sitter and they may not want to watch the kids for an exceptionally late time being that it is a 2 hour drive for us to get home approximately.

as to the epic format a i have a few questions since there are a few different versions out there:
1. Is activation controll legal? I realize it would cost 1 of you max commanders.
2. on that same note, does your epic piece (if required) count against your commander effect total if it has a commander effect?
3. I assume Adv. battle med doesnt count as a commander effect, but does the yammosk?
4. do reinforcements count against your total activations?
5. If you roll for Reserves does that count against your total activations?
6. is Disintegration Legal? :Boba:
7. Will soresu mastery effect all attacks? :obi:
8. Is there a limit to 1 Epic or can you have more than one if you can fit it in your squad?

I know that this is alot to answer at once, but i am just clarifying, not only for me, but for others attending also.

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:12 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

DarthJawa wrote:
1. Is activation controll legal? I realize it would cost 1 of you max commanders.

I personally don't think it should be, but the standard is that it is. No one uses it though as it is a complete waste.

DarthJawa wrote:
2. on that same note, does your epic piece (if required) count against your commander effect total if it has a commander effect?

Of course.

DarthJawa wrote:
3. I assume Adv. battle med doesnt count as a commander effect, but does the yammosk?

You can use the Yammosk purely for booming voice. IF you stack your squad with 3 CE's and a Yammosk then you effectively cannot use Telepathic Insight to steal a CE

DarthJawa wrote:

No

DarthJawa wrote:
5. If you roll for Reserves does that count against your total activations?

No

DarthJawa wrote:
6. is Disintegration Legal? :Boba:

I forget. I believe so, but I thought there was something about getting your full health epic Big D'd

DarthJawa wrote:
7. Will soresu mastery effect all attacks? :obi:

Come January this is going back to this way. I would say yes, but seeing as how it's 3 days prior that's up to Mike

DarthJawa wrote:
8. Is there a limit to 1 Epic or can you have more than one if you can fit it in your squad?

1 per squad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Rich and I played SSM as written and it worked fine.

So what you are saying is force valor couldn't be used as a fourth commander effect even though it doesn't start being a commander effect?

I am not sure on the schedule.

I think we are going to try to run a hoth battle at some point

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LESHIPPY wrote:

So what you are saying is force valor couldn't be used as a fourth commander effect even though it doesn't start being a commander effect?

Force Valor creates a CE, therefore it cannot be used if you are already at the 3 CE cap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
DarthJawa wrote:

No

I believe the way it's normally played, Reinforcements DOES count against your total activations. So you can't build a squad with Lobot and Gha and get up to 24 activations. You can play a character with Reinforcements, but you can't go above 16 acts (so it would make sense to build a 14 activation squad with Jaster in it, and have his Reinforcements fill out the last 2 acts).

I don't think anyone has banned Disintegration. Having a bodyguard in the squad to protect your Epic is advised.

The way we played Gambit in Ownesboro (Dennis' rules) were that Gambit is 50 points and require a character that costs 25 or more to get it. Personally, I still think that's a bit too high, although it didn't really adversely effect anything so it might be ok. I'm a proponent of having it be worth 25 points and requiring a character that costs 25 or more to collect it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Echo wrote:
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
DarthJawa wrote:

No

I believe the way it's normally played, Reinforcements DOES count against your total activations. So you can't build a squad with Lobot and Gha and get up to 24 activations. You can play a character with Reinforcements, but you can't go above 16 acts (so it would make sense to build a 14 activation squad with Jaster in it, and have his Reinforcements fill out the last 2 acts).

I don't think anyone has banned Disintegration. Having a bodyguard in the squad to protect your Epic is advised.

The way we played Gambit in Ownesboro (Dennis' rules) were that Gambit is 50 points and require a character that costs 25 or more to get it. Personally, I still think that's a bit too high, although it didn't really adversely effect anything so it might be ok. I'm a proponent of having it be worth 25 points and requiring a character that costs 25 or more to collect it.

Yes, Daniel is correct. I answered in a rush this morning and must have thought I was talking about reserves both times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Thanks for the help on the rules Brad and Daniel. We will do SSM the way it is printed and the way it will be played in the new year. Also, I think 50 is too much for gambit as well but in our games at Brad's it didn't really affect the games either.

Chris, we will be playing 500 first for sure and 200 after lunch followed by a Hoth battle run by Les. We will save the tile wars for one of the events at K-Town in the spring.