logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Chicago - Illinois Regional
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:06 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Engineer wrote:
Tim, can you check with the store owner to see if bringing in the laminator is okay? I would need a spot to plug it in and a table to set it on.

Eric, would you be able to pick me up enroute?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Engineer wrote:
Tim, can you check with the store owner to see if bringing in the laminator is okay? I would need a spot to plug it in and a table to set it on.

I'll check to make sure, but I would guess it will be fine.

I got the "League kit" of JC/AG's latest maps , so I'll probably get them all laminated and sell them at cost. I already have about 6 spoken for (me, Deri, Brad, Johnny, Andy and Jake) - so first come first served on the last 4

R5Don4 wrote:
Tim, you should also warn him to keep any deer out of the immediate area around the store.

Warning - Deer killer is on the move.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Ok so it's looking pretty unlikely that I will be able to attend this event however on the outside chance I might be able to make it I am wondering about the 10:00AM registration. Does registration start at 10:00 or do you have to be registered by 10:00? Also, is there much parking available on location or nearby? I would be driving down from Wisconsin that morning if I can make it and just want to figure out what time I would need to be on the road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:28 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
I got the "League kit" of JC/AG's latest maps , so I'll probably get them all laminated and sell them at cost. I already have about 6 spoken for (me, Deri, Brad, Johnny, Andy and Jake) - so first come first served on the last 4.

How much do I need to bring for mine (unlaminated)?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

GalacticFunk wrote:
Ok so it's looking pretty unlikely that I will be able to attend this event however on the outside chance I might be able to make it I am wondering about the 10:00AM registration. Does registration start at 10:00 or do you have to be registered by 10:00? Also, is there much parking available on location or nearby? I would be driving down from Wisconsin that morning if I can make it and just want to figure out what time I would need to be on the road.

The start time is 11 am just be there by then. Your going to have to park on the street some where and walk. If you do go PM me Ill be able to ride with you cutting down on gas. Right now I am just taking the train in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:58 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Engineer wrote:

You are officially authorized.

We'll actually have plenty of room. They have the storespace next-door free too

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
I got the "League kit" of JC/AG's latest maps , so I'll probably get them all laminated and sell them at cost. I already have about 6 spoken for (me, Deri, Brad, Johnny, Andy and Jake) - so first come first served on the last 4.

How much do I need to bring for mine (unlaminated)?

$6 maps

If I do Eric's bulk rate it will be $4 for lamination per map.

$10 for a laminated one (assuming I have Erics rate correct - I'll let him confirm that)

I'm just selling at cost. Not trying to make money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

cost for lamination is correct and laminator will be at the chi-town regional.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

urbanjedi wrote:
cost for lamination is correct and laminator will be at the chi-town regional.

Add $2 to the cost for folks who have already won a regional this year. :) (joke)

Lamination cost
$5 a map
$4 per map if more than 5 maps done

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

How did the tourney go?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

13 players

Tim won with his Arica and Cad squad

I went 1-3 my only win was the bye. THANK YOU I FINALLY DIDNT MAKE THE FINALS FOR ONCE AT A REGIONAL.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Congrats again to Tim. Come to Ontario and make it a Threepeat. Bring the Chicago Bulls glory back home! Jordan! 23!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:04 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Nice work Tim!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:37 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Jason K was 2ent Lou V 3rd Ben from mo was 4th I will have a report later tonight.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

yeah it would be nice to see squads played and how everyone faired in the regional.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My squad:

--Stealth 'n Blue--
54 Cad Bane
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nachkt
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
7 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Rodian Brute x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
6 Mouse Droid x3

(200pts. 15 activations)

Might look familiar, I ran it and won the Kokomo Indiana Regionals in 2010.

More details to come

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I have the squad sheets but the tourny was lost from my labtop

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:54 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

My tournament report.

Ok, so first off, need to explain what I was trying to do with the squad. I was aware that a bomb centered Vong squad had already done well at one regional, but in all of the DotF tournaments I've seen, no one was running straight up Vong melee. And as a designer, I really wanted to see how they would do. I think against the top meta squads, there are good match ups and bad (droids are almost an auto-loss). But against many of the jedi builds, and generally mixed squads (often called jedi interference) vong do quite well. So I wanted to try and run my favorite vong melee and see how i'd do. I wasn't expecting to have much more than a decent shot at top 4, and wasn't expecting to win with it, unless I got really lucky in terms of top 4 match ups. It also served as a designer test, because test games are one thing, actually seeing the real issues a build faces in a competitive tournament with everyone trying to win, is completely another. So here's the squad.

--Chicago Vong--
30 Shedao Shai
27 Lobot
27 Nen Yim
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
11 Yuuzhan Vong High-bred Warrior
4 Peace Brigade Thug
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 10 Rodian Trader
(Lobot) 4 Peace Brigade Thug
(Lobot) 6 Mouse Droid x2

(200pts. 19 activations)

The idea is straightforward. Use the RT to give my scrubs heal 10 (like heal 20 on vong figs) and try to stay alive as long as possible. Typically, I use a 4th JH in place of the HBW/thug/and 2 mice, but Matt needed my fourth JH for his Nom/JH/OG squad, so I decided to try out the HBW.

The results came out pretty much like you'd expect. In the first round, I faced Boba BH, TBSV, Obi JG, R2, Lobot (new). Generally a squad I'd expect to beat with the Vong. But this one went terribly wrong. On the first init, he rolled an 11 and brought in Xizor. Now his TBSV has a +4/10 on his GMA double attacks. I still wasn't too worried, and used the first two rounds to move into position. I set up within 6 of Boba with two JHs, then within 6 of the TBSV with another. On a won init, I would use cunning to put 60 on Boba, if I lost init, he would use Boba to and likely only get 40 on a JH then move away, allowing me to kill his TBSV. Either move was good. What I didn't count on, was him not only winning init, but winning it with another 11!. That brought in two more TBSVs and an Aqualish Assassin. Now I'm in trouble. Boba did his 40 to the JH and flew out of range. But now, if I try to kill the first TBSV, there are two more that will toast my JH. Worse yet, my healing train isn't caught up yet. So I have little choice, but to attack what I can, and try to get the healers up there. But remember, TBSV with Xixor now attack at +13 for 20 with jolt, so as soon as I moved my two figures, he killed the JH, then was able to jolt the remaining one - ugg. So I move Shaedo to the front with healers and kill off R2, and attempt to kill Lobot. I get R2, but Lobot gets away. It's then just clean up for him. Boba and Obi hang back, and the scrubs do the work. I last a lot longer than expected thanks to the heal gimmick, but the end is inevitable. Also key, was I didn't win a single init, which with a cunning based squad really hurts. Twice I had the chance to damage Boba, and lost it to init. 0-1 full loss.

Round 2. So my first round loss puts me in a bad spot, needing to win game two, but I end up facing one of the worst match ups possible for vong, heavy damage shooters. I'm playing Sithborg with Lando DS, Dash, Atton, Bastilla, Jarael and the Revanchist. He moves up, and I get as many healers as I can going before we engage (end of round 3). He used Bastilla for the +10 dmg for his guys and the battle begins (Spynet map) in the middle just outside the tunnal area of the right. I rightly try to avoid attacking Jarael, so I ping away with thud bugs as I advanced staying out of los. He engages with Atton and the Revanchist to take out my screens. I move up to kill atton, should be easy, JH needs two 3s. I roll a 2 on one attack. Now I either need to kill Jarael to hit atton again this round, or kill the Revanchist, but I've got a JH and Sheado in range. I can also choose to ignore atton and take out Lando. I choose to wait him out. He moves Lando away, leaving me the RC. So at the end of the round, I move up for my 2 sets of twin, Shaedo hits both doing 80, but again JH misses... Leaving him alive, as well as preventing a thud kill of atton, and keeping his +8 tact alive for another round. I lose init, atton fires, kills a JH and damages another. I kill the Revanchist and thud Jarael. He attacks with his stuff, I with mine and we go to the critical init. He wins, and instead of Atton dying yet again, he gets another double cunning off. That puts me down to Shaedo and support. I try to rally the healers as best I can, take out Jarael finally and working on the shooters. But at this point, he's got too much fire power, and I have too few attackers. One round I have to use Shaedo to kill an ugnaught blocking my path lol because no one else could kill it. So he cleans up 0-2 for me. Also did not win an init for a second straight game.

Round 3 I get the bye. Really didn't want it, as I wanted another test game, but what you gonna do, at that point I was officially in last place.

Round 4 I play Engineer, running a jedi tank squad with GOWK, Lumi, Atris, etc. As expected, this is no contest. I kill Atris first, making his lone handmaiden useless, and Baris second before she could make an attack. That pretty much seals it. The rest is quick clean up, didn't lose more than 15 points of figures. So 2-2, and ending in 9th place out of 13.

Now, learnings from this. Unfortunately, I didn't learn as much as I'd hoped, because I faced what ended up being (remember the reserves changed the first squad into a terrible match up in round 3 the worst match ups in the first two rounds. Had a good chance though to win the second match, if I had killed Atton and RC in the expected rounds. But that's a normal part of non-force using figures, sometimes you don't roll the number you need, even if low, and you can't reroll it. Then I smoked a jedi build with very little trouble. I did get to see some issues with running melee vong however. For example, I recognized that they really can't beat heavy shooter squads without a movement breaker (I was aware of this, but wanted to test it out). People also tend to run very few Yam useful CEs these days (a good protection to be sure), so the stealing of CEs isn't as helpful in that regard as you might expect (although stealing GOWK's in the final round was fun). In the age of expanded tactician, the AAO is hard to make use of. Sure, I tended to get off cunning on the second target, but as it worked out in this tournament, that was often not what I really needed. Vong melee need another way to up their attack (I use the AAO for the +4 more than the +10 dmg by a wide margin). Shaedo is totally worth his cost, and is the best fighter the Vong have. Healing just made him the last to die in each game, and last several rounds beyond any other figure in the game could do. Even Boba couldn't finish him for 3 rounds in the first game. He really is a great figure, and I'm glad we made him like we did. The Yam and Nen Yin really help the Vong and worked as expected. Melee Vong are close, darn close but still in need of a couple of tricks to be competitive. Finally, the HBW is a decent figure for his cost. I didn't have a ton of buffs to him in this squad, as he was a throw in that I primarily used for Razorbug. But I liked playing him. It gives me some ideas for future design, so for those purposes, this tournament was a success.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Lou wrote:
I have the squad sheets but the tourny was lost from my labtop

If you show the squads I think we can piece together how many loses each person had

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

when i have time tonight i will do that :saber: