logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: I am THANKFUL for Star Wars Miniatures
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There has been a lot of frustration being vented on the forums today. I would like to invite everyone to stop for a moment and take a deep breath. I don't mean this in a condescending way. I am being sincere.

Why are we here on these forums?

I love Star Wars Miniatures, and I am thankful for them. I am thankful for this community, and the commitment to keep them going.

I am thankful for talented map designers like Chris and Josh and Matt, and all the awesome maps they make.

I am thankful for Dean and the IMMENSE amount of work he puts into this website, keeping minis going, and making the tough decisions like the floor rules and legal map list.

I am thankful for Brad working his ASS OFF to make as comprehensive map analysis as possible for this boatload of custom maps. Weeks deserves credit here too.

I am thankful for community leaders like Bill, Dennis, Deri, Eric L, Jason T, Jason, Aaron, Trevor, Eric, Johnny B, Scott, Les and many others putting their invaluable input in and asking tough questions.

I am thankful for awesome guys like Jim N and Ray - who just love the darn game so much it comes out their pores. It makes me giddy to be around their sincere love of the game.

I am thankful there are so many people passionate about minis.

We need to keep in mind that just the fact that we are here means we are passionate about minis. Just like the Force, our passion for minis manifests differently in each of us. We have many strong personalities in this community. Sometimes we will disagree. That's OK.

I am not saying don't ask questions or not to have differing opinions. I just think we all will benefit a little from focusing on the positives for a little bit.

We can all agree about certain things for Star Wars Miniatures, and let's keep those things in mind.

Star Wars Miniatures is FUN

Let's try and make it accessible to as many people as possible, and keep it fun!

I am THANKFUL for Star Wars Miniatures

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I am THANKFUL for Star Wars Miniatures
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

What an awesome post!

I'd just like to add a +1

WWJD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

+1 Thanks for posting that. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It has to be telling that with the past year, I still only view this as spirited debate. Barely worth a mod's notice...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think that we have to recognize that one difficulty we're going to face in the community now is that it is no longer us vs them.

Them being Wizards of the Coast.

It was easier before to pin something on Wizards, since it was out of our control. Now it's just us - so the fighting tends to turn inward.

It's more important now than ever to stay united as a community.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

oh I dont think the community is divided.

It is the same problem as always. when you use the word cut it implies a negative thing. If you are the 55th best football player on the steelers then cut is a very bad word because you are going to hear it before the end of training camp.

Well cuts had to be made and naturally people will disagree. They have every right to. My disappointment doesnt come from that but the total lack of participation in what was a very open and public input opportunity. Brad begged for help and only recieved it from Weeks. During that time I cannot count the number of people I saw playing on vassal. They could have sent Brad a wirte up. But they did not. But it was not a super secretive elitist group that make these reccomendations. Now some have realized they missed the boat.

Otherwise I think it is healthy for our community to have some disagreements. Why should we always get along? Hey disagree away just dont drop down to calling people names or being ugly to someone for disagreeing.

I think our community is rather healthy considering we are out here all on our own. No big companies backing our game just us.

So kudos to the community even when you disagree.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:55 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

dnemiller wrote:
Otherwise I think it is healthy for our community to have some disagreements. Why should we always get along? Hey disagree away just dont drop down to calling people names or being ugly to someone for disagreeing.

So kudos to the community even when you disagree.

Exactly. I've never liked "yes men". The disagreements (as long as they're civil) can be constructive and pave the way for change to come. Pointing out a flaw or raising question to something you disagree on is always welcome in my book; it can lead to a learning experience for everyone. I'll just say I am happy to see that we as a communtiy have kept this game going.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Couldn't have said it better myself, TimmerB123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

I believe that in the, end even if we do fight, we all know that we are all here for the same reason. If you post on this site you enjoy playing Star Wars Miniatures or you are a very confused person :shock: .