logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (No Player Openings)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jonnyb815 wrote:
Cant take 20 on knowledge checks thats why I said ill aid. I would of just took 20 if I could of.
We can both take 10 or I can aid? giving you a 19 and me a 18. It would at least get us over 20 if i try and aid.

Can't aid another on knowledge checks either as far as I am aware. Wouldn't make sense anyway as you can't go up to me and be like "oh, you are thinking about something, let me think with you." :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:55 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Dude its a knowledge check come on think about it? How do you get info now a days talking,looking stuff up? pretty sure my character would know a little about the planet or at least of heard of it with all the traveling my character has done in the past.

Its not like your trying to break a weapon with your hand?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:25 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I believe the point of this RPG is the interaction between characters/story and not so much about the stats. In game, JM's character hasn't really interacted with yours besides making snide remarks about Skads presence/behavior at the briefing.

It's nice to help out with the knowledge checks but in order to do that you must be in a situation where you're actually interacting with JM's character on a level that makes sense to have an aid action. Backgrounds were also given to Walter (GM) through private message (even though they weren't required) so you can't assume who his character is/what he is thinking about. Plus, if you wanted to aid him in any checks, you would most likely have to make your character do checks in a conversation/a situation that calls for it (i.e. Trying to disarm a security system of an enemy's base - and once again that's if both characters are familiar with each other in game and have mechanical skills to do so). You can't force a knowledge check in most scenarios especially when there is no sense for it. It's like you are trying to RP for us rather than with us. It doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I believe stats for this game aren't that important. They are more so guidelines for practical situations such as combats via Vassal. However, even then, some of the rules don't apply because the rules can be changed by the GM's will since it's his story.

So please, try to write in more of a narrative manner and stop worrying about stats/specific rules because they might not apply. The only references for character stats have already been confirmed in the character forum. Oh, by the way, Obikenobi1 still has to delete his post in that forum but that's just me being meticulous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

sweeteyes55 wrote:
I believe the point of this RPG is the interaction between characters/story and not so much about the stats. In game, JM's character hasn't really interacted with yours besides making snide remarks about Skads presence/behavior at the briefing.

It's nice to help out with the knowledge checks but in order to do that you must be in a situation where you're actually interacting with JM's character on a level that makes sense to have an aid action. Backgrounds were also given to Walter (GM) through private message (even though they weren't required) so you can't assume who his character is/what he is thinking about. Plus, if you wanted to aid him in any checks, you would most likely have to make your character do checks in a conversation/a situation that calls for it (i.e. Trying to disarm a security system of an enemy's base - and once again that's if both characters are familiar with each other in game and have mechanical skills to do so). You can't force a knowledge check in most scenarios especially when there is no sense for it. It's like you are trying to RP for us rather than with us. It doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I believe stats for this game aren't that important. They are more so guidelines for practical situations such as combats via Vassal. However, even then, some of the rules don't apply because the rules can be changed by the GM's will since it's his story.

So please, try to write in more of a narrative manner and stop worrying about stats/specific rules because they might not apply. The only references for character stats have already been confirmed in the character forum. Oh, by the way, Obikenobi1 still has to delete his post in that forum but that's just me being meticulous.

My character is a loner so aiding wouldnt make sense 95%. How is your husband going to get the info if he is not going to talk to the captain or look it up. Yes odds are a character would know a little about the planets like the main species so on if its a planet a character knows. I was just figuring that he would go head to see the captain since he made the check. If he goes and looks up the info or just knows all the info then yes aiding another doesnt make any sense. I still would take aid another plus taking 10 over my 19 check since I think it makes more sense if we are both in the room.

My character after the the captains speaks would go find out more info about this planet. He would want to find out what kind of plants,Animals,climate etc. Again my character doesnt care about anyone other than himself so aiding other doesnt make sense most the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jonnyb815 wrote:
My character is a loner so aiding wouldnt make sense 95%. How is your husband going to get the info if he is not going to talk to the captain or look it up. Yes odds are a character would know a little about the planets like the main species so on if its a planet a character knows. I was just figuring that he would go head to see the captain since he made the check. If he goes and looks up the info or just knows all the info then yes aiding another doesnt make any sense. I still would take aid another plus taking 10 over my 19 check since I think it makes more sense if we are both in the room.

My character after the the captains speaks would go find out more info about this planet. He would want to find out what kind of plants,Animals,climate etc. Again my character doesnt care about anyone other than himself so aiding other doesnt make sense most the time.

...Knowledge check, johnny, Knowledge. If it was gather information, I would agree, talk to the captain, look it up, whatever. Knowledge checks though, that is what your character knows based off study, experience, conversation, whatever. It is what my character knows, not his ability to find it out. Hence why asking for aid from anything else to figure out what my character knows/should know is kinda silly.

As my character clearly barely even knows the planets name, however, I am going to have to make him visit the planetary tourism board or what not and do a gather information check :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

It doesnt even matter since once we get to level 4 checks wont matter as much.

Walter is there a way for me to look up what kind of planet this without talking to the captain since everyone thinks a lore check wont work by talking to the captain for more info even though its a conversation lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

In the current situation you cannot aid another, If you were all sitting around a table talking about what you know about the planet...

The rules allow for cooperation on knowledge checks. So, for example, if you were all talking about baseball and Jonny knew a lot about the Mets and Kevin you knew a lot about the Yankees both of you together would have greater knowledge about baseball than each of you individually. In game mechanics that would grant a +2 to the check. In this situation I will post different Knowledge (Galactic Lore) DCs with a spoiler block below them. Roll if you want, or take 10 (you can't take 20 as Jonny has pointed out) if you beat the DC read the information in the box, if you don't beat the DC then don't read the information.

My in-laws are currently staying at my house, so my schedule is out of sorts. I will respond to your post as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay.

Oh and when posting rolls from Invisible Castle (IC) please use the BBCode (the one on the bottom).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sooooo, does that mean we all gain like 100 XP? :maul:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

walter why did you edit and take lore away you said it was fine. Is it really that big a deal that I went solider to start and didnt know you couldnt get knowledge outside of tactics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You lowered your inelegance and lore was not available so start so that was the one I removed. You can exchange the Shake it Off feat for the Skill Training feat. Please decide what you are doing whit your character. and let me know ASAP. It was supposed to be finalized before we started with the option to exchange one unused feat, skill, or talent at 4th level.

Jedi_Master wrote:
Sooooo, does that mean we all gain like 100 XP? :maul:
To be fair I have a double post because no one responded in 24 house... so 50XP :Jawa:

And... what does everyone's schedules look like this week end?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think it was because we were posting on here and counting it :saber:

And the weekend is free for wifey and me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I am available tonight after 9pm EST to do a Vassel RPG session. I can run the encounter if at least 4 players are available, but since this is the first combat I would prefer all players present. Please indicate here if you will be able to attend. Sorry for the short notice.

If today does not work out, we will need a game session next weekend (I am not available during the week) to move the game forward. If we cannot schedule something I will look at alternatives to keep the game moving.

Last edited by TreebeardTheEnt on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:41 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I think we should just wait till next Sunday.

I am free but think we should wait.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:51 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I agree with Johnny. I have to study for a Calc II exam anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:35 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Saturday might work better as there is no football to distract certain people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:46 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Jedi_Master wrote:
Saturday might work better as there is no football to distract certain people.

NO SATURDAYS

60% of the time I have stuff to finish up on before Sunday morning and like to take go out at night since its my only night off outside of sundays and monday nights.

I can do Saturdays but I have to know early in the week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

It will have to be Friday night (If I can work that out with my wife), Saturday night, or Sunday night. Lets have the night finalized by Tuesday so everyone can make any necessary arrangements.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I dont have a clue about this weekend outside of Sunday which works.

I am going out with my brother and father to the movies Friday might be back in time. Saturday I plan on doing something other than staying home or working at the office.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:52 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I would prefer Friday night. Although, JM and I are able to make it on Saturday and Sunday if Friday doesn't work with anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I am fine with what the majority decides. I am free most nights and can work with just about any decision.

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next