logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (No Player Openings)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jonnyb815 wrote:
house rule idea?
Surefooted can work on low objects too like stable footing in minis if not I can get a jetpack with armor at some point.

For now, lets not change the rules. If you want a jetpack, ether now or after the game begins, that is ok with me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

@Jedi_Master

Yes, Obi's character is more well rounded where mine is more specialized. Just to clarify, I will mostly only need bluff (deception) and knowledge (social sciences). To create forged IDs and disguises, it uses the deception skill. The only time I will need to gather info is to find out how a particular ID looks.

Yes, Obi's character can change his appearnce on the fly, but not his clothing. So he may still have to find clothing that makes him fit into the area he is in. Which means he may have to subdue someone to obtain that, making it more likely someone will notice something has gone wrong.

Then when it comes to him bluffing, he only has a +2 to Deception where I have a +13. I may also get a circumstancial bonus on my deception check using my knowledge (social sciences) skill. Obi's character may know that someone is an officer or a VIP, but if he calls them by the incorrect title, it could blow his cover (if that situation where to occur).

I can also possibly intimidate someone, using my Persuasion skill, I run into as a way of dealing with them or manipulating them into doing something favorably to me and/or the group.

Both Obi and I are going to be very useful. The both of us could back each other up on the same mission. I can use my skills to create a false ID for him so he can get in as easy as I and then use his Stealth to sneak about.

Just to make sure of this, I'm not yelling at you or trying to prove you wrong, but just wanted to show another way of looking at this. Now we may not get a single chance for my character to use his skills. In which case I may talk to Treebeard about introducing a new character. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

can we just have a skype call and talk about where we want to go as a group. I think this is needed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:56 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jester007 wrote:
@Jedi_Master

Yes, Obi's character is more well rounded where mine is more specialized. Just to clarify, I will mostly only need bluff (deception) and knowledge (social sciences). To create forged IDs and disguises, it uses the deception skill. The only time I will need to gather info is to find out how a particular ID looks.

Yes, Obi's character can change his appearnce on the fly, but not his clothing. So he may still have to find clothing that makes him fit into the area he is in. Which means he may have to subdue someone to obtain that, making it more likely someone will notice something has gone wrong.

Then when it comes to him bluffing, he only has a +2 to Deception where I have a +13. I may also get a circumstancial bonus on my deception check using my knowledge (social sciences) skill. Obi's character may know that someone is an officer or a VIP, but if he calls them by the incorrect title, it could blow his cover (if that situation where to occur).

I can also possibly intimidate someone, using my Persuasion skill, I run into as a way of dealing with them or manipulating them into doing something favorably to me and/or the group.

Both Obi and I are going to be very useful. The both of us could back each other up on the same mission. I can use my skills to create a false ID for him so he can get in as easy as I and then use his Stealth to sneak about.

Just to make sure of this, I'm not yelling at you or trying to prove you wrong, but just wanted to show another way of looking at this. Now we may not get a single chance for my character to use his skills. In which case I may talk to Treebeard about introducing a new character. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Here is my point I guess. The two of you have what, 5 classes to choose from that you can mix and match and build up to a few dozen prestige classes, each with hundreds of feats and dozens of talents to build off of. It just seems like yours is a little one dimensional. "I am a spy." Good...so what do you do when you aren't trying to retrieve something or blend into the crowd? Maybe it is just a back story thing, do you have one?

For example, my guy is a fledgling underworld boss trying to get a good contract with anybody who fights the empire, which is keeping his business down. He is wealthy and very book smart, so he knows where/how to look for leads. I built him around that idea. However, he was given several feats to help him survive combat and a few others to represent that background yet still benefit the group.

Elanor is a demo woman. She is built around crushing things with high explosives and does it well. She also has battlefield control in the sense of area attacks and bantha herder. She is also a mechanic, pilot, and little bit of a medic. Still, none of that detracts form the primary goal of blowing stang up.

Obi, while I do not like the character concept of a stealthy melee character, does it in a way that can be understood. Like your guy, he doesn't want to attract attention with a weapon, so he went the melee rout should things go poorly. That lets him be useful in regular combat too, or as a scout who can look ahead and make sure it is safe for the rest of us to go on ahead. On top of that, he is a good backup mechanic and pilot.

Your guy has a lot of deception, almost to much, and persuasion. He can do the back up medic or the pilot. He can be a good computer tech too. Thing is, you have quite a bit of waste. What could you need two levels in linguist for? Why do you need skill focus in deception for when you have master of disguise? What I am suggesting is drop a linguist for a decent shooter feat like Precise shot or quick draw and maybe drop the skill training in deception for a medic related feat like medical team or a group benefit like deceptive drop or demoralizing strike. You can be a great spy still but with added usefulness at almost no cost.

Like I said, it is just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it. Just trying to make it so you do not have to worry about having to make another character should treebird not offer enough opportunity for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on skype and have the mic working finally on both computers. My skype is kevin.dowrey and I am more than happy to talk about anything whenever...as walter knows :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jonnyb815 wrote:
house rule idea?
Surefooted can work on low objects too like stable footing in minis if not I can get a jetpack with armor at some point.

My idea is(ill add more and pm it to walter if you guys think this is a good idea)

Scout1,Solider 2(start)
Harm's way,Surefooted
Str 10,Dex 17,Con 19,Int 11,Wis 10,Cha 6
Feats
Point blank shot,Precise Shot,weapon focus
(weapon pro: rifles pistols unarmed,Armor: light med,Shake it off)

Species Gen'Dai(speed 8,large)

Skills
Init,Perception,Endurance,

Weapon:Rifle(3d10),Knife

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to separate the two.

Gen'dai are great little tanks. I love the gladiator build I did with one but I think yours will be just fine. I wonder if he will be alright outside combat though? I would suggest using your high dex with pilot and drop the perception as we will be the ones letting you know what is going on around us (we have like 4 characters with a perception at or over 6). Also, for a feat, I would suggest Never Surrender. You make an endurance check VS the damage dealt to you to remain above 0HP once per encounter. It is handy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:06 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

obikenobi1 wrote:
Feats:
Tera's Kasi Training, Martial Arts I, Skill Focus (stealth),Weapon Prof. (rifles); Weapon Prof. (pistols);Weapon Prof. (simple weapons)

Skills:
Acrobatics +3; Climb +3; Deception +3; Endurance +1; Gather Information +2; Initiative +8; Jump +3; Knowledge (all others) +2; Mechanics +7; Perception +6; Persuasion +2; Pilot +8; Ride +3; Stealth +13; Survival +6; Swim +3; Treat Injury +1; Use Computer +2; Use the Force +2

Why did you chose Tera's Kasi Training over K'tara Training? The later seams to fit your character better.

Also, when listing your skills please just provide the ones that you are trained in or get a special bonus to; or break your skills into categories: Primary (your trained ones) and Secondary (your untrained ones). Do not list Use the Force unless you have the Force Sensitive feat. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:23 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jester007 wrote:
FEATS: Master of Disguise, Skill Focus (Deception, Persuasion), Linguist x2, Weapon Proficiency (Pistols, Simple), Point Blank Shot
LANGUAGES: Basic, Ryl, Huttese, Durese, High Galactic, Bothese, Mon Calamarian, Shriiwook, Rodese

Jester, I understand your choice to take the Linguist feat as one of your chosen feats in addition to the free feat granted from the Noble class, and it does fit your character as you have described him, but I would suggest exchanging the chosen feat for a combat feat. I will be using languages in this game, but this is Star Was during the beginning of the of the Empire, and if you read what is available of the Intro I have connected you with the beginning of the resistance, so combat will occur and in some instances will not be avoidable...

:r2line:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sorry for sparking a debate. In my opinion (based on the information Jester haves provided and on participating in the game that Obi used this character before) the characters are very similar. I have no problem having two characters with the exact same build in a game because the backgrounds will be different and character personalities will be different. This is a situation where the characters have a similar build type, and because Jester and Obi are unique individuates the characters will be very different in-game. My original questions was if you the players were o.k. with that.

If any of you want to contact me on Skype my user name is the same as it is here: Treebeardtheent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:04 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Jedi_Master wrote:
jonnyb815 wrote:
house rule idea?

My idea is(ill add more and pm it to walter if you guys think this is a good idea)

Scout1,Solider 2(start)
Harm's way,Surefooted
Str 10,Dex 17,Con 19,Int 11,Wis 10,Cha 6
Feats
Point blank shot,Precise Shot,weapon focus
(weapon pro: rifles pistols unarmed,Armor: light med,Shake it off)

Species Gen'Dai(speed 8,large)

Skills
Init,Perception,Endurance,

Weapon:Rifle(3d10),Knife

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to separate the two.

Gen'dai are great little tanks. I love the gladiator build I did with one but I think yours will be just fine. I wonder if he will be alright outside combat though? I would suggest using your high dex with pilot and drop the perception as we will be the ones letting you know what is going on around us (we have like 4 characters with a perception at or over 6). Also, for a feat, I would suggest Never Surrender. You make an endurance check VS the damage dealt to you to remain above 0HP once per encounter. It is handy.

ill be fine plan on not going pathfinder anymore so ill have a few more skills to pick from. plan on going elite trooper I think now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
obikenobi1 wrote:
Feats:
Tera's Kasi Training, Martial Arts I, Skill Focus (stealth),Weapon Prof. (rifles); Weapon Prof. (pistols);Weapon Prof. (simple weapons)

Skills:
Acrobatics +3; Climb +3; Deception +3; Endurance +1; Gather Information +2; Initiative +8; Jump +3; Knowledge (all others) +2; Mechanics +7; Perception +6; Persuasion +2; Pilot +8; Ride +3; Stealth +13; Survival +6; Swim +3; Treat Injury +1; Use Computer +2; Use the Force +2

Why did you chose Tera's Kasi Training over K'tara Training? The later seams to fit your character better.

Also, when listing your skills please just provide the ones that you are trained in or get a special bonus to; or break your skills into categories: Primary (your trained ones) and Secondary (your untrained ones). Do not list Use the Force unless you have the Force Sensitive feat. Thanks.

I honestly was really tempted to go with K'tara to begin with. It is an excellent feat, and I originally planned my character with it. 1d6 more unarmed damage is nice. And the silenceing someone once per encounter is really good also. However, I eventually figured it would be best to go with Teras Kasi to make it so I stun people more often, since Stun Damage is dependant on my total damage getting past their damage threshold. I figured lowering their DT by 5 is better than hoping for a 5 or a 6 on my extra d6 of damage with K'Tara. I'm willing to go back to having K'Tara if that is what everyone wants. I just felt Teras Kasi would help more in the long run.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

obikenobi1 wrote:
I honestly was really tempted to go with K'tara to begin with. It is an excellent feat, and I originally planned my character with it. 1d6 more unarmed damage is nice. And the silenceing someone once per encounter is really good also. However, I eventually figured it would be best to go with Teras Kasi to make it so I stun people more often, since Stun Damage is dependant on my total damage getting past their damage threshold. I figured lowering their DT by 5 is better than hoping for a 5 or a 6 on my extra d6 of damage with K'Tara. I'm willing to go back to having K'Tara if that is what everyone wants. I just felt Teras Kasi would help more in the long run.

Or you could, you know, pick it up next level as your bonus feat ^^

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

If everybody could, I would very much like to get online around 8 or 9 pm tonight (central time) so we can have a big discussion on either skype or vassal about characters and get them finalized.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:53 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jedi_Master wrote:
obikenobi1 wrote:

Or you could, you know, pick it up next level as your bonus feat ^^

Im not sure where you see K'tara training as a bonus feat. I looked in the GaW book and it doesn't have it listed. I guess its up to the GM. I would love it if it was a bonus feat. 8-)

So Walter, do the Martial Arts Feats count as Bonus feats for Scouts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:22 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Not that I can find. :obi:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:39 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Alright, on skype, getting on vassal's SWRPG mod. See you guys on either one I hope

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I suppose I will take K'tara training rather than Teras Kasi, since it would seem to be better for our immeditate concerns since we may get into hand to hand battles when we don't have blasters. 2d6 is better than 1d6 dmg. I do like Teras Kasi still and will try and get it latter, since it works like a charm with the Infiltrator prestige class. And K'tara fits my character well in that I sneak up and silence someone so they don't sound the alarm.

On a side note, Kevin would you be able to by a holoshrowd (not sure about the spelling)? Its from the Force Unleashed book and it makes it so that I give a perfect projection of clothining and other apparel. This would be extremely helpful in infiltration and makes it so that my Clawdite can literaly be a clone of anyone. I mostly want to get to the point where I have a holoshrowd like the one you see on the clawdite in the Clone Wars TV series season 2 episode 1 where she just touches the person and she immediately changes appearance down to the last detail. That would be just awesome. Maybe I would have to upgrade it latter to be a enhanced holoshrowd to accomplish this, since there isn't a equipmnet that does exactly as that episode shows. We can buy it latter also, if that is an issue. It does cost 25,000 credits for starters. :roll: :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Starting equipment must be purchased by the character using their credits. After the game begins other player characters can aid in the acquisition and improvement of items.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:15 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Don't worry about money guys. I will be a noble till at least level 8, so I can afford most things that aren't to expensive (like big star ships). Just in game mention it and I might be able to procure it.

Did the last two characters get posted/made yet? I wanna start I wanna start.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 pm 

Jedi_Master wrote:
Your guy has a lot of deception, almost to much, and persuasion. He can do the back up medic or the pilot. He can be a good computer tech too. Thing is, you have quite a bit of waste. What could you need two levels in linguist for? Why do you need skill focus in deception for when you have master of disguise? What I am suggesting is drop a linguist for a decent shooter feat like Precise shot or quick draw and maybe drop the skill training in deception for a medic related feat like medical team or a group benefit like deceptive drop or demoralizing strike. You can be a great spy still but with added usefulness at almost no cost.

Like I said, it is just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it. Just trying to make it so you do not have to worry about having to make another character should treebird not offer enough opportunity for you.

I really do appreciate the suggestions you have been making. I understand that we all want to have good synergy w/ each other, but I wanted to do more of a skill heavy character.

I took the two Linguist feats because I wanted to increase my chances of success as an infiltrator/spy. I thought it fit my character better. It also gives me options of possibly disguising myself as a different species.

Since my character is really dependant on his ability to bluff his way, I really had to take a skill focus in deception. The Master of Disguise feat ONLY works on creating false documents and disguises, not lying through my teeth.

As I gain levels, I do plan on taking abilities that will help the group out more directly. I still don't plan on being a guy in the front line blasting away. I was thinking of taking a few levels in Crime Lord once the opportunity comes and taking the Impel Ally talents that let me burn swift actions to give someone else a move or standard action.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

sweeteyes55 wrote:
Possessions 15000 credits, DLT-20A "Longbarrel" blaster rifle with spare power pack, earbud comlink, field food processor, grenade launcher with 4 spare frag grenades, medpac, Merr-Sonn PLX-2M portable missile launcher with 3 spare Arakyd 3t3 missile packs, security kit, tool kit

I have approved the characters stats and added her to the character thread. Your Possessions are going to need to be redone. You did not include the Black Market cost for your weapons or items. Your weapons alone cost 21,225 credits and would cause your character to be encumbered. Once you let me know what you are doing I will update your approved character.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next