PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:59 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

that sticks :cry:

Post subject: Re: Sarah leaving Wizards
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

At this point am i really surprised? Not really. Wizards does not seem like a good place for good people.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 pm 
General
General

It's a good place for good people to get a good start, even if they outgrow it after a while.

It's amazing to me how a corporation so notorious for letting people go in pre-holiday layoffs manages to keep attracting and discovering great talent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I thought I saw in an interview that she was actually employed by Hasbro. Are they a subsidiary of WoTC?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mickey wrote:
I thought I saw in an interview that she was actually employed by Hasbro. Are they a subsidiary of WoTC?

HASBRO ........ WotC

Something more like that :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Yes, Hasbro bought WotC a while ago.

My belief is that WotC has been under pressure from Hasbro after spending away last year's profits on Gleemax.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 am 
General
General

eMouse wrote:

My belief is that WotC has been under pressure from Hasbro after spending away last year's profits on Gleemax.

Just speculating, but I'd guess it's more likely that WotC has been under pressure from Hasbro after Hasbro forced WotC to spend away last year's profits on Gleemax. I suspect the effort to dump a social networking site on the gaming community was probably more of a Hasbro desire. WotC likely named it Gleemax in an effort to give it Magic player cred, without recognizing that most gamers would scoff at the name enough to not take it seriously at all and dismiss it before it got started.

That said, I still have a couple of the little foam Gleemax brains they gave out at Gen Con; my kids love those. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Mapmaker wrote:
eMouse wrote:

Just speculating, but I'd guess it's more likely that WotC has been under pressure from Hasbro after Hasbro forced WotC to spend away last year's profits on Gleemax. I suspect the effort to dump a social networking site on the gaming community was probably more of a Hasbro desire. WotC likely named it Gleemax in an effort to give it Magic player cred, without recognizing that most gamers would scoff at the name enough to not take it seriously at all and dismiss it before it got started.

That said, I still have a couple of the little foam Gleemax brains they gave out at Gen Con; my kids love those. :)

I'm purchasing one of your maps today. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:20 am 
General
General

Thanks! If you're the fellow that placed an order about 15 minutes ago, it's already in the mailbox. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
eMouse wrote:

I tend to agree with this. From what I've seen and heard, Hasbro makes working at WotC very difficult and stressful. They have all these expectations about what the company should be doing, and sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. Gleemax was part of the problem. Dreamblade was a serious debacle.

Gleemax was something silly that a couple of Magic designers came up with as a joke years before it was ever considered for the official name of a community gaming site. I think the fact that they chose that as a name speaks volumes about how seriously they take their other product lines. The company is in love with Magic, and everything else is just "work."

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Mapmaker wrote:
Thanks! If you're the fellow that placed an order about 15 minutes ago, it's already in the mailbox. :)

I think that would be me. Going to Baltimore?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Mapmaker wrote:
It's amazing to me how a corporation so notorious for letting people go in pre-holiday layoffs manages to keep attracting and discovering great talent.

People get into that mentality of "do what you love" and have no problem sacrificing pay, time, working conditions, and stability for jobs in a "fun" industry like gaming. Video game companies are notorious slavedrivers too.

(That said, in my pre-Hasbro visit to WotC it seemed like a pretty cool place to work and I can see the attraction even though I'd never take a job there no matter how much I like gaming.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

On the subject of Gleemax, this article is always in the back of my mind:

http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/PAX ... m5580.aspx

As you read, keep in mind its two years later, the economy is worse, and video gaming has gotten stronger in attracting a steady customer base. After you finish try and say with a straight face that WotC, let alone tabletop gaming, will exist in another generation, unless something changes.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i think your trying to extrapolate too far Boris

I don't think Tabletop games will go anywhere. A smaller base perhaps but there is something social about table games that you can't get with online experiences.

Not to mention that a lot of online games are pretty samey.

Tabletop gaming will stop when people stop putting effort into making them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
i think your trying to extrapolate too far Boris

I don't think Tabletop games will go anywhere. A smaller base perhaps but there is something social about table games that you can't get with online experiences.

Not to mention that a lot of online games are pretty samey.

Tabletop gaming will stop when people stop putting effort into making them.

Well maybe I am.

You are right about the social experience. I think its something more of the youth coming up could use a dose of. You can't be a total ass when the other player is sitting right next to you the way you can when they are just a digital projection on a computer screen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

My bro-in-law is 17 and you can not pull him away from a computer, or video games even to play a board game when his fam drove 10hrs to get to my house. My wife who is 9 years younger than I can not stand a long drive cause it too boring, she grew up being entertained on drives as opposed to looking out the window enjoying the scenery, or as i use to do imagine the hills and the valleys and where the armies of whatever would be hiding to ambush orcs or what not.

Kids these days are becoming socially retard because their version of interaction is text messaging, IM and XBOX live.

I do not think that table top gaming will ever go away but it does mean that every time a noob, especially a younger one, lose their SWM cherry that it be the best experience it can....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Azavander wrote:
My bro-in-law is 17 and you can not pull him away from a computer, or video games even to play a board game when his fam drove 10hrs to get to my house. My wife who is 9 years younger than I can not stand a long drive cause it too boring, she grew up being entertained on drives as opposed to looking out the window enjoying the scenery, or as i use to do imagine the hills and the valleys and where the armies of whatever would be hiding to ambush orcs or what not.

Kids these days are becoming socially retard because their version of interaction is text messaging, IM and XBOX live.

I do not think that table top gaming will ever go away but it does mean that every time a noob, especially a younger one, lose their SWM cherry that it be the best experience it can....

you know that is really true. I think it is hilarious younger ladies (in 18-24 range) think I am hilarious and funny. They say they wish they could meet guys their age that could express themselves. Well I know hearing that I thought it was my wisdom and age. But now I am thinking that it is just their male counterparts are complete morons. Man to be that young again..... youth is wasted ont he young for sure.

And before you ask what I am doing talking to young ladies. Remember my oldest is 22 and so I have a lot of interactions with people that age. What can I say I am popular.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:03 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

dnemiller wrote:
you know that is really true. I think it is hilarious younger ladies (in 18-24 range) think I am hilarious and funny. They say they wish they could meet guys their age that could express themselves. Well I know hearing that I thought it was my wisdom and age. But now I am thinking that it is just their male counterparts are complete morons. Man to be that young again..... youth is wasted ont he young for sure.

And before you ask what I am doing talking to young ladies. Remember my oldest is 22 and so I have a lot of interactions with people that age. What can I say I am popular.

You know, all of what you say is true, but Dean, don't underestimate the fact that your social skills HAVE been improved by being a tabletop gamer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Master_Jorth wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

You know, all of what you say is true, but Dean, don't underestimate the fact that your social skills HAVE been improved by being a tabletop gamer.

None of my social skills are from table top gaming.... ZERO!!!!!! my social skills come from law enforcment that is why I am so kind!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager