logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Decoding the legal map list - a plea from the community
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Now that the new floor rules are out, and the legal map list has been declared (found here: http://www.swmgamers.com/page.php?27 under the link SWM GPA Floor Rules) - we need a uniform way of referring to these maps.

I noticed I didn't have some of the legal maps, and I clicked on the links to buy the ones I don't have:

Armored Cartographer's maps - http://www.adventurers-atlas.com (also available from Miniature Market)

Chris West's maps - http://www.mapsofmastery.com (also available from Miniature Market)

-------------> Side note - I do encourage everyone to support all of our community's talented map designers.
Buy maps from both of these links!

So one issue I have is this: I don't know which map is which, because they are called different things.

I think that "Theed Palace" is known as "Royal City Plaza" But I am not sure. It says Theed Palace on the legal list, which I assume is trademarked so it can't be sold as such - but can we have a translation guide please?

Another example is everyone referring to Mapmaker's Swamp Caves as Dagobah. At least this one made the list correctly as Swamp Caves - but it does promote confusion.

I know this is an issue we have always had - but let's try and irradicate it now.

I am volunteering my help - but I need to know what is what before I make a handy reference tool. If someone can tell me what each map name on the legal list is ACTUALLY called where it is sold - this would help immensely. Then I will make a list including links to where to buy each map.

Thanks in advance for your help

Post subject: Re: Decoding the legal map list - a plea from the community
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Tim, I think we can make this happen pretty quick. Send me your email address and I can pretty much link the map image to the name for you. I have every single map thumbnailed on my comp but have no idea how to embed it in a post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Thanks Brad, PM sent.

Can Anchorhead be bought anywhere directly anymore? If so, please provide a link :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

A single document with images of the maps along with the official name would be awesome. Might want to put the official name as well as the common name on it for some maps. For example, Ravaged Base is ACTUALLY called "Commander's Office" (or something like that), but of course nobody ever calls it that (I occasionally put it on my squad list as a joke since not many people even know that that is the official name).

Of course, this might actually lead to more confusion. But if Theed Palace isn't actually Theed Palace, that is going to be pretty confusing no matter what you do, because that is what people are used to.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:12 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Gamers has Chuck's old DCI map pics doc in the OP resources. The same concept should be updated to GPA map list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
Gamers has Chuck's old DCI map pics doc in the OP resources. The same concept should be updated to GPA map list.

Is this of which you speak? http://www.swmgamers.com/e107_files/dow ... pguide.pdf

Also - Nickname, did you have a plan for updating your map list guide with the new maps? I have always held it up as the shining example of everything a map list could/should be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

NickName wrote:

Once the new Vassal mod is up look for a new GPA map list on the main page with the pictures. There are thumb nails around the web I could find. I think doing it myself is easier(adding Gambit)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I'd like for us to eventually put together a document similar to the one the Atlanta guys had put together. A multi-page thing that shows thumbnails for ALL of the maps on the list, with the official name, and then perhaps an 'aka' section for the common names we tend to throw around. And then it would include a way to show which map lists it was included on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jonnyb815 wrote:
NickName wrote:

Once the new Vassal mod is up look for a new GPA map list on the main page with the pictures. There are thumb nails around the web I could find. I think doing it myself is easier(adding Gambit)

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, I'd like for us to eventually put together a document similar to the one the Atlanta guys had put together. A multi-page thing that shows thumbnails for ALL of the maps on the list, with the official name, and then perhaps an 'aka' section for the common names we tend to throw around. And then it would include a way to show which map lists it was included on.

Awesome guys - glad to see everyone is thinking along the same lines.

It's just one of those things where this can't be posted too much. Having easy access to an understandable, clear list is the best way to not alienate anyone trying to figure out map legality.

I really want to avoid someone showing up with a map they thought was legal. Or even worse, throw up their arms and say it's too tough to decipher and not use any new maps (which I have heard first hand recently, and I am trying to fix).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
NickName wrote:

Is this of which you speak? http://www.swmgamers.com/e107_files/dow ... pguide.pdf

Also - Nickname, did you have a plan for updating your map list guide with the new maps? I have always held it up as the shining example of everything a map list could/should be.

We've discussed this for a number of topics, but the right place for everything V-Set specific is Gamers. HOLOCRON's resources will generally remain as WotC ended the game for people who aren't interested in the V-Sets for whatever reason.

But, just in case it's not obvious, the reasoning has nothing to do with me "not supporting the V-Sets" in some way. There's no feud. My LGS is using and enjoying DOTF. And I'm still working with the V-Set team in regards to rules issues on new abilities for the forseeable future.

So I don't really plan right now to do such a list for HOLOCRON. I may contribute, or assist with, something similar here if others don't beat me to it.