Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 7 R7 Astromech Droid
(Lobot) 10 Mouse Droid x5
(Lobot) 3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 16 activations)

seen here on bloomilk
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=82551
Map was ravaged base

Took this to a 6-1 first place finish on Saturday in the Chicago regional. Losing to a higher activation Lancer squad run by Timmerb123.

The squad is a great example of why the NR is so tough at the moment. Ganner takes them to the next level by adding every round levitate as well as his other tricks (stealth, FP2, sweep). Mara being levitated is nastyness whether it happens beginning of the round or the end of the round. The idea is to get a lead using mara, watch her die and then leviatate a charged Anakin to Unleash the Force to begin (or end) the mop up. Han is a pretty crucial piece with his NTMTO and disruptive really hamperring thrawn and swap squads but also allowing the use of MTB without fear of the opponent using it. However, Han also provides a significant amount of power to the squad and can really pressure opponents tech if the expose themselves. Its not unusual to levitate Han into a group of pieces under the influence of commander effects (evade, SS, greater mobile). Gha allows the inclusion of 2 point mice which you can bring 10 in for a total activation count of 19 but 15 if you want to run an MTB. Timmerb123 uses this tactic a lot and its where I got the idea from. Saying that i never used the MTB as i was content positioning my pieces to get early round levitate assaults from a reasonably safe distance. Anakin, while in for his UtF, also provides mop up in the form of FP2 which compliments Ganners FP2. Even with Han and Mara defeated, Ganner and Anakin make a formidable endgame duo. Anakin is a good addition to the squad adding a significant source of power output that IMO exceeds whatever Wedge can bring in for the same cost. His main drawback is his 50 hp so you really need to be careful with his positioning until your opponent has had a large amount of his dmg potential defeated.

Post subject: Re: Solo Charge, 200 point NR Chicago Regional Winner
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Very creative, and a good intentional use of Han, whose abilities are all useful in this squad.

One option for reinforcements is to bring in a Felucian with Lobot, so that you can move the Felucian (or Logray, but he costs more) in for a Blast, and then when it dies, follow up with Anakin for an Unleash...as early as round 1, you like, but more probably round 2. It'll be hard for an opponent to recover from UnTF already in the second round; you'll lose Anakin, but you'll also likely kill off most of your opponent's fodder, as well as do some significant damage to those that survive it. After that, you still have a full health Mara and Han to chase down whatever needs the chasing. This seems like an intriguing tactic, IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I really like the overall idea of the squad, Deri. I think being able to potentially use the MTB could really keep opponent's on their toes as well.

I'm curious why you went with Gha Nachkt though, because you could just go with 4 activations in his place instead. If you went with 4 Mouse Droids there, then you could still do MTB and 4 more Mice, for a total of 8 mice. With Gha and Lobot, the best you can get is 6 mice. So, if you off Gha, you still only get 7 rounds of init control. Seems like it would be better to just run the Mice in there to start with, and then you'd have some extra activations for the matches where you don't run the MTB.

I really enjoyed the Han/Mara MTB combo at GenCon 2 years ago though. I may have to revisit this one. Your use of Anakin is extremely interesting, and very different, and I like it.

TINT's point about Logray/Felucian is awesome and something I hadn't thought of. Anakin could be very deadly in that situation, especially if it's combination with the MTB. Have Anakin Unleash in one round, and then Mara/Han clean-up the next round.

I guess you were planning to use Anakin's Unleash as your MTB exit Strategy if it came down to that?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

@TINT - i brought in a Felucian against Bill and Matt (the report is in the regional results thread) but in both times either Anakin or Mara were dead before the felucian so it was mute. When people see a 7 point piece with devastating consequences for killin git coming at you, they tend to avoid killing it which makes it a decent nuiscance. Interestingly enough, in playtests i wrecked house with UTF but in teh tourney I only got it off once in a mop up fashion. I found his FP2 much more useful in general.
I had Longray in my reinforcements pile but i never used him. The felucian is almost as effective (more so with parry?) for 5 points cheaper.

LoboStele wrote:
I really like the overall idea of the squad, Deri. I think being able to potentially use the MTB could really keep opponent's on their toes as well.

I'm curious why you went with Gha Nachkt though, because you could just go with 4 activations in his place instead. If you went with 4 Mouse Droids there, then you could still do MTB and 4 more Mice, for a total of 8 mice. With Gha and Lobot, the best you can get is 6 mice. So, if you off Gha, you still only get 7 rounds of init control. Seems like it would be better to just run the Mice in there to start with, and then you'd have some extra activations for the matches where you don't run the MTB.

Notice the 2 point mouse in the actual build, if i take Gha and replace with 3 point fodder then you have 14 points in which to do so as you lose the 2 point mouse. So the comparison is 2 activations for 4 (or 9 activations in teh main build V 11 without gha). Then with Gha i can take 10 mice for a total of 19 activations whereas without gha it gives you a max of 17. Gha also allows you to be more creative with lobots reinforcements while keeping your activation count high.
with the MTB i have 7 mice and Gha which is even when you take out Gha and more cost 0 points.

a last point is that i never used the MTB. Its there as a threat but i don't think you need it. If you really want the MTB i think you need to get rid of anakin for more fodder which i didn't want to do.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the Han/Mara MTB combo at GenCon 2 years ago though. I may have to revisit this one. Your use of Anakin is extremely interesting, and very different, and I like it.

TINT's point about Logray/Felucian is awesome and something I hadn't thought of. Anakin could be very deadly in that situation, especially if it's combination with the MTB. Have Anakin Unleash in one round, and then Mara/Han clean-up the next round.

I guess you were planning to use Anakin's Unleash as your MTB exit Strategy if it came down to that?

Yeah, anakin is the exit strat but you have to get your MTB moving alongside him, which might get him killed early. Still, you probably only use it for a couple of rounds.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Deri I like the squad a lot. I was actually messing around with a similar squad right before the tourny started but decided to play what I was used to and not try smthn new right away. Anyways congrats on winning regionals and great squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:34 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

First off, Great SQUAD! And congrats on the regional win! I would like to try this build out sometime! The best part is I have always liked Anakin, and I have tried him in several builds, but like you said, his 50 HP's make him vulnerable, and the only way I could ever find to keep him safe was to add Wedge and sometimes even Leia for rerolls, making too much tech for one mini. I like What Ganner does for him though.

Have you tested the squad against a Weaponmaster momentum build? How does it do against a Yobuck Momentum Build?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

lonescout wrote:
First off, Great SQUAD! And congrats on the regional win! I would like to try this build out sometime! The best part is I have always liked Anakin, and I have tried him in several builds, but like you said, his 50 HP's make him vulnerable, and the only way I could ever find to keep him safe was to add Wedge and sometimes even Leia for rerolls, making too much tech for one mini. I like What Ganner does for him though.

Have you tested the squad against a Weaponmaster momentum build? How does it do against a Yobuck Momentum Build?

weaponmaster momentum builds are quite tough for the squad because of the large amount of beef they have, but this squad is not without its defence against them. You will out activate the squads by a lot, with dodonna and up to 19 activations you are able to respond to the republics movements. Your looking to keep them at a distance for a few rounds looking to pick of r2 and other fodder so they can't just run straight at you. You will aim to isolate pieces and push, assault and shoot them to death. It would probably be worth bringing in a BDG or 2 to keep Han and anakin alive. His disruptive will reduce the enemys power a lot, make swaps more difficult and his double accurate cunning will be important to finish any figs that get away.

Yobuck squads are dealt with the same way except you'll be more aggressive with Mara as there will only be Dash and Skywalker backing Yobuck up. If yobuck runs right at you he will need to stay a far distance away to avoid staying in disruptive. If you can manage to pin Yobuck in disruptive after he's galloped Yobuck will need initiative to survive. If you win init then an assault on Yobuck before he activates from mara will put 120 on him (need 4s with cunning). Yobuck is then unable to swap due to disruptive and will risk a potentially fatal AoO. Mara and Anakins block will help in these matches.

Map will help also.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I had to play a GM Yoda/Weaponmaster build on Saturday with my Rebel squad, which is substantially weaker on a piece by piece basis than Deri's squad here (Ferus was my beefiest piece with only 100 HP). Disruptive makes a huge difference, and with both Ganner and Anakin using Force Push, you can force the Republic player to waste a lot of FPs on Assault. Mara should be able to wipe out a JWM each round, and Gen Skywalker won't last THAT long if he exposes himself for too long. I think the Bodyguard option for Lobot's Reinforcements is a solid choice there. Or possibly Wicket to help hitting the JWMs with their Duelist a little easier.